Saturday, April 14, 2012

Interview: Artist Suellen Evoy-Oozeer

Unidentified 1&2 by Suellen Evoy-Oozeer

Suellen Evoy-Oozeer, artist and co-founding member of the Back Room Gallery Artists' Co-op, has been painting since 1979, continually pursuing her education and development while working in social service and teaching, being married and raising a family. In 2005 she completed a BFA at the University of Windsor.

Suellen describes her artistic philosophy which is grounded in Art as Social Practice:

My painting is my passion interplay of energy between humanity, nature and spirit. My paintings are abstract expressionistic landscapes of vibrant colours, utilizing mixed media and texture. It is my mediation; I try to let it unfold as it should, allow it to have its own voice through me. My technique often incorporates Manmade and natural objects. I have been influenced by many other artists notably by Vincent Van Gogh, for his palette, thick paint and passion, Julian Schnabel for his used of objects, texture and his passion.

Philosophically, I am greatly influenced by my friends from Kettle Point/Stoney Point and their clear ability to see the insurmountable value in nature and its beauty and share their vision with me. Also I am influenced by the area of Ipperwash and the beauty and energy that pulls me there. I paint to try and find a balance, to search in the unknown, and to connect with energy of something more than myself.

 Suellen joined me for an exclusive interview with Windsoriana. I'm honoured to have her as my first guest.

What would you say to someone who feels they are not an artist?

Saying 'I am an Artist' is one of the hardest things for an artist to do. An artist is someone who thinks creatively, who expresses those thoughts in a creative way. It has taken me a long time to say 'I am an Artist,' because I revere the profession so much. It feels good to be able to say it.

In 2005 you decided to pursue art full time. What brought you to that decision?

In 2005 my father past away. His passing made me realize in a very real way that life is short. The time to do what I love is now. I love doing and being involved in art, it energizes me.

Can you explain this style of painting for readers who are unfamiliar with the term 'abstract expressionism?'

Most of my art is expressionism and often abstract, abstract expressionism is art that focuses most on expressing a feeling or creating a feeling in the viewer, often colourful with less concern on perspective, realism and precision.

Is there anything else you would like to say to our readers?

It has taken me over thirty years and I am still evolving to remember how to paint as a child, confident, passionate and free.

Thank you for joining us, Suellen! Suellen Evoy-Oozeer's works are available at Back Room Gallery Artists' Co-op at  4749 Wyandotte St. East in Windsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment