Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sketch of the Day: Portrait challenge


I'm excited about this sketch. At Walkerville, where I took most of my first lessons in art, we tried all sorts of media. There were two I could never quite get the hang of: one of them was coloured pencil. It was so frustrating! The colours wouldn't blend, it would look flat and shiny! Horrible. It's been awhile now, and I wanted to challenge myself. Sometimes I challenge myself with new subjects or styles, but this time I wanted to try a different medium. I tried an artist's quality coloured pencil brand and liked it. This is my first attempt at a portrait with the new pencils.

2 comments:

  1. What kind of pencils were they? Coloured pencils are my favourite medium so I'm curious to know what you're using. Great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      These are Prismacolor Premiers, soft cores. I haven't tried any other professional brands yet. I think the colours were: goldenrod, dark brown, sienna brown, tuscan red, poppy red, crimson red, ultramarine, and a speck or two of black.

      Do you have any tips for someone new to coloured pencils?

      Delete